PurposeWelcome to the East Orange Water Commission's official website. We encourage you to explore our website to learn more about the East Orange Water Commission and the services we provide.
The Commission serves the City of East Orange and the Borough of East Newark(Billing and Customer Service only). We are committed to providing quality water and wastewater service to our customers.
- To provide our customers the highest quality water obtainable with uninterrupted service.
- To utilize every safeguard possible to ensure the highest quality water and the health of our customers.
- To be prepared at all times to supply our customers with ample water for fire protection and sanitation.
- To produce water at the least possible cost to the consumer with only sufficient income to cover the East Orange Water Commission's operating and maintenance cost, with sufficient reserves to be set aside each year to cover depreciation, replacements, and such new capital developments as are necessary to uphold a high state of efficiency.
- As a self-sustaining department of the City of East Orange, the normal operation of the Water Commission will have absolutely no impact on the tax rate.
- If, through efficient and wise business management, a surplus above the requirements of the Commission develops, it will be provided to the consumers in the form of a reduction of their water rates.
NOTICE OF CHANGE OF DATE OF PUBLIC MEETING - In accordance with the New Jersey Open Meetings Act, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975, Public Notice is hereby given that the Board of Water Commissioners of the City of East Orange has changed the date of its regular scheduled November Monthly Board meeting from Tuesday, November 19, 2019 to Tuesday November 26, 2019. The meeting will be held at 5:00 P.M. in the Board Conference Room at 99 South Grove Street, East Orange, NJ. The purpose of which is the Board's regeular November monthly meeting. The Board may consider and take formal action on agenda items or any other item or matter that may come before the Board prior to or at the meeting. The meeting is open to the public. Formal Action Will Be Taken.
BY ORDER OF Alison Rolling
PRESIDENT, EAST ORANGE WATER COMMISSION
Annual fire hydrant flushing will begin on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 and will continue throughout the month of September. The flushing will be done weekdays between the hours of 9:30 am - 4:30 pm.
While testing is in progress, water may become brownish in color due to sediment in the pipes being stirred from the amount of water being flowed through the main. If this occurs, residents should simply run the tap for a few moments and the water should clear. Residents are advised to avoid doing laundry for several hours if they see the hydrants being tested in their area. If the water appears brownish and does not return to normal after running the tap for a few minutes, residents should contact the East Orange Fire Department at 973-266-5507.
The East Orange Water Department will be operating valves throughout the city starting on Saturday April 6, 2019 as part of our system maintenance strategy. The valve operation project will occur Monday - Thursday, 3:30pm - 7:30pm, and some Saturdays, until project completion. During operation, customers in the area may experience periods of brown/cloudy water. If this occurs, please run the cold water for a minute and it should clear. If you have any questions, contact Customer Service at (973) 266-8869.
DATE: March 3, 2019
TO: City of East Orange Residents and Stakeholders
FROM: Mayor Ted R. Green
SUBJECT: STATEMENT FROM MAYOR TED R. GREEN AND THE EAST ORANGE BOARD OF WATER COMMISSIONERS ON EAST ORANGE'S WATER QUALITY
East Orange’s water is clean, safe and continues to meet the standards of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
We have issued a statement in response to false water quality reports that began circulating on social media early Sunday morning.
Christopher Coke, Executive Director of the East Orange Water Department, confirmed the most recent round of coliform testing that took place between January and February 2019 and found no bacterial contaminants like E. coli or other organic compounds that would endanger the City’s water.
In fact, the City, under the supervision of a licensed water treatment operator and its executive director, conducts sample testing regularly using third-party tester Aqua Pro-Tech Laboratories (APL) as an additional security measure to maintain water quality.
We are not sure of the source of these reports, but they are not true. Our residents can be assured that our water is clean and safe.
EAST ORANGE WATER COMMISSION
The East Orange Water Commission holds their General Meetings every third Tuesday of each month at 5:00 P.M. in the Main Conference Room in its office located at 99 South Grove Street, East Orange, N.J. and will be open to the public.
Formal Action Will Be Taken
President Board of Water Commissioners of the City of East Orange
Important & Helpful Links:
- Pay Bill Online
- 2019 Annual Meeting Dates for the East Orange Board of Water Commissioners
- Important Water Rate Information – East Orange Customers Only
- Quick Tips to Conserve Water
- Water Conservation Tips
- Water Quality Report Now Available
- Announcement: Water System Improvements Project.
- View Most Recent Agendas and Resolution